Certificate in Disaster Management Course
Africa Institute for Project Management Studies (AIPMS) is pleased to announce a Certificate Course in Disaster Management which starts from 1st of every month .
Globally, disasters are on the increase, impacting communities and nations with grave social and economic consequences and threatening the survival, dignity and livelihoods of the vulnerable sections of their populations. Shifting socio-economic situations, unplanned urbanisation, environmental degradation, climate variability and change, geological hazards, competition for scarce natural resources, and the threat of epidemics are factors that compound the impact of disasters. Disasters increasingly impact the global economy and the sustainable development of developing countries. In 2011, 332 natural disasters were registered, less than the average annual disaster frequency observed from 2001 to 2010 (384).
This integrated programme defines humanitarian response within the framework of an understanding of development, with vulnerability and disaster risk reduction as an integral part of development. This programme recognizes the vulnerabilities faced by the poor and marginalized and the disproportionate impact of disasters endured by them in the developing world. In this programme, the study of disaster risk reduction, disaster response and post-disaster recovery will be grounded in the values of justice, equity and social inclusion. This course addresses all stages of disaster management in a comprehensive and holistic manner; including
- pre- disaster preparedness and mitigation,
- rescue and relief in the context of disaster and
- post disaster rehabilitation, reconstruction and recovery.
This Certificate Course in Disaster Management is designed to impart domain knowledge, capacities and skills to:
- Demonstrate a critical understanding of key concepts in disaster risk reduction and humanitarian response
- Recognize issues, debates and challenges arising the relationship between paradigm of development and disasters
- Critically evaluate disaster risk reduction and humanitarian response policy and practice from multiple perspectives
- Develop an understanding of standards of humanitarian response and practical relevance in specific types of disasters and conflict situations
- Critically understand the strengths and weaknesses of disaster management approaches, planning and programming in different countries, particularly their home country or the countries they work in, and
- Respond to disaster risk reduction initiatives and disasters in an effective, humane and sustainable manner.
Participants will need to use email, upload and download word docs,
PowerPoint files and PDFs, and post on the discussion board or send assignments by email. If you do not have internet speed sufficient to download materials, an offline DVD or hard copies course may be the right alternative for you. Materials Provided: Online delivery of curriculum materials, exercises and templates.
After they have read the material for each unit, students are expected to test their own Learning by completing some relevant exercises and tasks.
In order to demonstrate their understanding of the course content, students will be required to submit three assignments.
DURATION AND COURSE LOAD: 8 Weeks - 5 to 6 hours per week
DATES: (Two Months) Course Starts 1st of Every month for Two Months .
REGION TARGETED: Global
COURSE FEE: $500
ORGANIZERS: Africa Institute for Project Management Studies (AIPMS)
FORMAT: Web-based and Distance Learning facilitated
GENERAL COURSE CONTACT: email@example.com