AIPMS 012 DIPLOMA IN GENDER BASED VIOLENCE (GBV)
Africa Institute for Project Management Studies (AIPMS) is pleased to announce a Diploma in Gender Based Violence .The course is offered through Distance Learning. The course starts on 1st of every month
Gender-based violence (GBV) has been recognized as a cross-cutting issue affecting the lives of victims from a diversity of dimensions including culture, education, health, economy, psychology, livelihoods and political participation. In fact, violence against women and girls was chosen as one of the critical areas of action following the Beijing Conference. This presents a key opportunity for different players, including government agencies, NGOs, United Nations agencies and other institutions, to build an understanding on issues of violence and undertake activities to combat violence. This online course is imperative to build this understanding and initiate and strengthen programmes combating gender-based violence.
The course also features a number of exercises and reflective activities designed to examine the concepts of gender, gender-based violence, sexuality, and rights. It will further explore the impact of gender-based violence on education, health and development.
This advanced course is aimed at building the capacity and commitment of participants to undertake programs targeted at eradicating gender-based violence and to develop a new movement for gender equality.
Module 1: Introduction to Gender
• Understanding the importance of gender
• What is gender?
• The concept of gender, development and Violence
• Gender and socialization (Social construction of gender)
• Basic gender concepts and terminology
Module 2: Gender-based Violence
• Introduction to gender-based violence
• The concept of violence
• Types of Gender-based violence
• The relationship between gender, development and violence
• Gender-based violence from a human rights perspective
Module 3: Gender Analysis and Human Rights
• Understanding gender analysis
• Key elements of gender analysis
• Gender analysis using the Life Cycle Framework of Analysis with focus on GBV
• Gender and Human Rights
Module 4: Gender Mainstreaming
• What is Gender Mainstreaming?
• Historic Overview of Gender Mainstreaming
• The Concept of Gender Mainstreaming
• The Role of Men in Gender Mainstreaming
• Gender Mainstreaming in Specific Sectors (E.g. Agriculture, Health, Education etc.)
• Gender Mainstreaming and the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs)
• Gender Mainstreaming Best practices
Module 5: Action against Gender-based Violence
• Ways of Combating Gender-based Violence
• Addressing GBV practices
• Advocacy, negotiation, and communication skills
• Existing national and institutional action to combat gender-based violence
• The role of UN and inter-government institutions in combating GBV
• Country level case study
Module 6: International Legal Human Rights Instruments Related to GBV
• The Universal Declaration of Human Rights
• Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women (CEDAW)
• The Bill of Rights
• The European Convention on Human Rights
• The Beijing Declaration & Program of Action
• The African Charter on Human & Peoples’ Rights
• The Convention on the Rights of the Child
This module is designed specifically for practitioners in health and development organizations.
After they have read the material for each unit, students are expected to test their own Learning by completing some relevant exercises and tasks.
Assignments: There are ten assignments (continuous assessment tests) and one examination to be offered at the end of the course. Assignments and Continuous Assessment Tests account for 70% project paper or examination will account for 30% of the mark. Upon completion of the course you shall be issued with a Diploma Certificate and a course transcript.
Certificate and Transcripts will be sent after successful completion of the course
DURATION AND COURSE LOAD: 24 Weeks - 5 to 6 hours per week
REGIONS TARGETED: Global
COURSE: FEE: $800
FORMAT: Web-based and Distance Learning facilitated
GENERAL COURSE CONTACT
The Academics Coordinator
Africa Institute for Project Management Studies