WORKSHOP ON AGRIBUSINESS AND RURAL DEVELOPMENTAgriculture plays a crucial role towards rural development. Being the most important source of rural income in most developing countries, it plays a vital role towards economic development. It is a sector that provides jobs and plays a key role towards the realization of food security. This training workshop is intended to help the participants embrace agribusiness as a source of income and promote rural development to enhance and sustain their livelihoods.
The workshop is intended for players in the Agricultural sector including Extension Officers, Agricultural officers, Decision makers working with local people, donor NGO’s involved in or Agricultural Development projects.
By the end of the workshop participants you will be able to:
- Appreciate the basics in agribusiness development.
- Obtain knowledge on agribusiness diversification.
- Learn skills on the role of agribusiness in rural development.
- Understand the role of gender in agribusiness development.
- Obtain skills on farm management and planning.
- Understand the effects of economic forces on both agribusiness and rural development.
1. Concepts in Agribusiness
- Definition of Agribusiness
- Introduction to Rural Sociology
- Entrepreneurship in agriculture
- Agribusiness development and rural development
- Agribusiness development and food security
- Factors affecting agribusiness development in rural areas
2. Agribusiness Enterprise Development
- Basic concepts in agribusiness
- Factors of Production
- Nature of agribusiness products
- Risks and risk management in agribusiness
- Agricultural marketing
- Value addition of farm products
3. Farm Management Plan
- Strategic plan
- Business plans
- Viability analysis
- Management strategies plan
- Natural resources plan
4. Agribusiness Diversification
- Definition of agribusiness diversification
- Drivers of diversification
- Types of diversification
- Opportunities for diversification
- Non-farm diversification
5. Cross-cutting issues in Agribusiness Enterprise Development
- Effects of economic forces on agribusiness development
- Economic importance of agriculture and sustainable development
- Gender and minority groups role in agribusiness and rural development
- Role of technology in agribusiness and rural development
- Role of government in agribusiness enterprise development
- Agribusiness incubation and innovation
For further inquiries, please contact us on
The workshop shall be conducted in English
Kenyan residents: Kshs 100,000/= International: USD 1,000/=
The course fee covers the course tuition, training materials, two break refreshments, lunch, and study visits.
All participants will additionally cater for their, travel expenses, visa application, insurance, and other personal expenses.
Accommodation is arranged on request. For reservations contact us on:
Mode of payment
Payment should be made through electronic fund transfer to Capacity Africa Institute account 7 days before commencement of training.